Tossing and turning on an uncomfortable mattress every night is the worst. We all need our sleep, but let's face it, sometimes buying a new mattress is just not in the budget. The good news is, it doesn't have to be! Finding the best mattress topper might be exactly what you need to help you sleep better.
Mattress toppers come in a wide range of sizes and materials. This variety means the best mattress topper is out there for everyone, and you have to know what to look for.
What is a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is exactly what it sounds like: something that goes over the top of your mattress. The topper is an extra layer of cushion that makes your mattress easier to sleep on.
THE BEST MATTRESS TOPPER PRICE RANGE
Finding the best mattress topper for a decent price is relatively easy. The mattress toppers can cost as little as $40 or as much as $300. Even at the highest price, however, they are vastly cheaper than buying a new mattress. The price of the topper depends on what size you want, its material and how thick it is.
HOW WE REVIEWED
We conducted this review for the best mattress topper by scouring the internet and finding a variety of mattress toppers. Then we looked at the materials creating the toppers, the brands and price ranges of each. Afterward, we also found ratings and reviews from actual customers. From there we were able to narrow our list down and brought you what we believe to be the best mattress topper options available.
Our Picks For the Best Mattress Topper
When you're looking for the best mattress topper, you want to know what you're getting into, especially if you've never owned one before. Thankfully we compiled a list of some of the best mattress toppers available, just for you.
- 3 inches of ventilated gel memory foam adds softness and pressure-relieving comfort to your mattress
- Special memory foam formula is extremely soft, airy and responsive
- Ventilated design improves airflow for a more comfortable sleep climate
This mattress topper comes in as the first on our list because of its high quality. It has three inches of ventilated gel memory foam to keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The manufacturer claims the mattress topper adds softness and relief to pressured areas such as your back and neck.
It comes in a variety of sizes: twin, twin XL, full, full XL, queen, king and California king. This option for the best mattress topper costs between $87 and $137. Customers seem to like the mattress topper and have given it a rating of 4.2 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
Reviewers say the topper is comfortable and feels like sleeping on a cloud. However, other customers have not had the same experience. The biggest complaint people have is that it rips where the ventilation holes are. Overall, the ratings are good though.
- CALIFORNIA KING MATTRESS TOPPER: Drift into a sounder, deeper sleep on this 4-inch queen pillow top mattress cover ideal...
- DUAL LAYER: A machine-washable cover holds both layers perfectly in place for unbeatable comfort that feels like...
- GEL MEMORY FOAM: Every body is unique and deserves personalized comfort—Cooling gel memory foam draws heat away from...
This 4-inch dual layer mattress topper has a machine washable cover. It also claims to work well for back, side, and stomach sleepers. The gel memory foam gives you personalized comfort and cooling, giving you your best sleeping temperature. Also, this mattress topper combines two inches of memory foam with two inches of quilted fiberfill. Sleep Innovations makes it in the United States and it comes with a 10-year limited warranty. It comes in a variety of sizes including twin, full, queen, king, and California king. It costs between $116 and $200.
Sleep Innovations' best mattress topper has an Amazon rating of 4.3 out of 5.0 stars. The biggest gripe some customers have about the mattress topper is that it does not maintain its form.
- Latex Provides Amazing Pinpointed Support - Sleep Better Instantly
- 100% Natural Latex - No Synthetic Latex - No Fillers
- Medium-Firmness - Great for anyone who wants pinpointed support from a somewhat firm topper (Firmness rating is 30 ILD)
This 2-inch mattress topper claims to have 100 percent natural latex and provides "amazing pinpointed support" according to their listing. The latex foam helps you stay naturally cool which helps you sleep better. Their 100 percent natural claim doubles down with no synthetics and no fibers. This means this mattress topper is promising an environmentally friendly sleep. This topper ranged from $79 to $299 depending on the size of your mattress. With a rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars, it seems like a lot of people are getting their money's worth out of Pure Greens’ best mattress topper.
Over 70 percent of reviewers are happy with this topper – one person even claiming it’s better than memory foam. Other customers aren’t as happy, though, claiming it sleeps hot and has inconsistent or missing padding throughout.
- Full Memory Foam Mattress Topper | You deserve a better night's rest. Add an extra level of comfort to your existing...
- BEST PRESSURE RELIEF, COMFORT AND SUPPORT Whether you prefer to sleep on your belly, your back, or if you are a side...
- No need to buy new sheets! Our full bed mattress topper measures 74 x 53 x 2 and is sized 1 inch shorter than your...
Advanced Sleep Solutions best mattress topper claims that you get two full inches of gel infused memory foam giving you great sleep and extra comfort. Relieving pressure points and relaxing muscles, it helps to realign your spine from your hard days of work with almost nonexistent motion transfer. The mattress costs between $70 to $100 and the brand offers a money back guarantee just in case it's not to your liking. Advanced Sleep Solutions also claims to be made without ozone-depleting agents, meaning it's not ruining the atmosphere.
On the one hand, some customers are in love with how this best mattress topper relieves their pain, even the pain they used to blame on old age. On the other hand, some customers claim that it is clearly too short for the mattress they ordered and that the topper holds heat. With a 4.4 out of 5-star overall rating, it seems like the majority of customers are happy with this mattress topper.
- 3 POUND DENSITY. Not the 2 pound density or less found in cheaper mattress toppers. Higher density foam means the...
- COOLING GEL INFUSED memory foam for your individual comfort. Gel infused memory foam keeps your bed temperature neutral...
- HIGH DENSITY MEMORY FOAM TOPPER adjusts to your shape and sleeping position while reducing motion transfer and...
This best mattress topper claims to have a density of three pounds, making it a high-density plush topper which gives you the best comfort possible. Its gel memory foam puts you to sleep, and it lasts longer than generic brands. It’s infused with a cooling gel, giving you your optimal sleeping temperature. It's hypoallergenic, and a three-year replacement warranty gives this topper a place in this list.
Prices for this mattress topper range from $79 to $119 and with all the supposed features those prices are pretty low. At 4.3 out of 5 stars, some customers are delighted with this topper, claiming it's the perfect size, and that it's incredibly comfortable. Others aren't quite as happy. Those customers claim the mattress topper sleeps hot, and after time gets a bad smell and depressions where they sleep.
- 2-INCH GEL-INFUSED MEMORY FOAM: Our memory foam mattress topper is infused with cooling gel to reduce trapped body heat...
- BREATHABLE COVER: the outer bamboo cover is made from high-quality material, and removable for machine wash, ensuring...
- THOUGHFUL DETAILS: this easy rolled-up and stored mattress topper features a removable cover with full maintenance and...
With two full inches of thick memory foam, this best mattress topper claims to be laced with a cooling gel to release trapped body heat and move cool air throughout the mattress, giving you a great sleeping temperature. With a no-slip bottom, this topper can endure even a restless night, and some customers think you’ll likely be sleeping like a baby on one of the best mattress toppers if you choose this one.
This topper ranges from $99 to $169, and Amazon cannot lie about its products. With 4.2 stars out of 5, some customers feel like this topper doesn't deliver on its no-slip promise, on top of being hot and lumpy. The 66 percent who enjoy the mattress topper claim it doesn't smell bad and cools them just fine.
- Luxurious feel and naturally resilient, our latex topper is available in three firmness levels: Soft (19 ILD), Medium...
- Talalay latex provides up to 33% more pressure relief than conventional foam and fiber cushioning materials
- Contours to the shape of your body for the ultimate pressure relief and support
This best mattress topper from Ultimate Dreams claims that it’s naturally resilient to tossing and turning. Furthermore, the Talalay material provides over 30 percent more relief to pressured areas, eliminating any pains for a good night’s sleep. This topper is made of latex, making it great for allergy sufferers, and it’s guaranteed not to bunch, flatten, sag, or crumple. That makes it another one of the best mattress toppers.
With price ranges from $280 to $404, this mattress topper claims to have a luxurious feel to it. Most customers seem to love this topper. With 4.3 out of 5-stars, they claim that it relieves their pain and that they're using it long-term with nothing to complain about. Some people, though, are not as satisfied with complaints of sore backs and toppers that bowed after several months of use.
- Transform your Sleep Until you’ve slept on the Serene 4” high density, pressure-relieving topper you won’t know...
- Relieve Your Pain & Soreness Using thousands of testing hours and hundreds of reviews, we’ve designed the Serene dual...
- Smell of Memory Foam We’ve gone above and beyond to address the complaints around the smell of foam when you open it....
This 4-inch thick mattress topper is a great five pounder, leaving you with lots of density for lots of comfort and pressure relief. It conforms to your body and is environmentally friendly. It has gel infused memory foam, which the company claims will help you sleep much better, especially with a quilted down alternative on its top layer. This best mattress topper also comes with a 60-day money back guarantee, just in case you don't like it.
With 4.6 out of 5 stars and over 80 percent of customers satisfied, happy buyers are talking about how cool it keeps you and how soft it is. Other customers are not easily convinced about this topper, though, claiming it gives no support to a sagging mattress and that it isn't 4 inches like the company claims.
- Made in the USA - Our toppers are crafted with pride in the USA, ensuring the highest product quality standards...
- Available in 4 Different Firmness Options; Soft, Medium, Medium-Firm and Extra-Firm
- Superior Pressure Relief - Our toppers provide better distribution of body weight by reducing pressure points, providing...
Plushbeds' best mattress topper is available in several different densities, from soft to extra firm, for your sleeping pleasure. Claiming to be odor free and hypoallergenic, it's resistant to molds, mites, and more. These features, on top of the claim that it relieves a lot of pressure, lands it on this list.
Customers overall seem to be fairly happy with this topper; with no reviews under 4 -stars, this topper holds a 4.5-star rating overall. Some customers are saying that it's just what they needed comfort wise. Others aren't happy about the clear seam on the mattress or the higher price, which ranges from $270 to $519.
- Set includes: Featherbed and cover
- Extra supportive featherbed will cradle your body and provide relief for pressure points
- Filled with natural feathers for comfortable, resilient support
This best mattress topper by Super Snooze is made of feathers and is sectioned out, keeping the movement inside the topper to a minimum. Super Snooze claims it has natural feathers encased in cotton fabric and a 200-plus thread count. Built with quality in mind, this topper is perfect for a more traditional approach – with the promise of resilience, some customers think this topper is worth the money.
At prices between $107 and $154, this best mattress topper has gotten a 3.6-star review out of 5.0. Some customers are happy with it because it makes them feel like they're sleeping on clouds. Other customers claim it feels more like sleeping on lumpy laundry.
The Best Mattress Topper for You
When your mattress is lumpy and your budget is tight, it’s difficult to find an easy middle ground. Mattress toppers, though, can be that middle ground. They’re cheaper than buying a new bed and you still get the good night’s sleep that you crave. It's challenging to evaluate which mattress topper is the best option, but you can be sure any one of these wonderful toppers are the best available. All you need to do is decide what you want in a topper. You can’t go wrong with any of the toppers on this list.